Benefits of establishing a coaching culture
Today's organisations will get the most benefit by establishing
a coaching culture in which managers adopt a coaching approach
and use of internal and external coaches is recognised as
an effective way of improving performance.
Establishing a coaching culture
David Clutterbuck (2004) explains how to establish a coaching culture: -
- By ensuring that managers have at least the basic skills
- By equipping all employees with the skills to be coached
- By providing an advanced coaching skills programme for
- By providing opportunities to review good coaching practice
- By recognising and rewarding managers who demonstrate
- By measuring and providing feedback on the quality, relevance
and accessibility of coaching
- By ensuring that top management provides strong, positive
- By identifying cultural and systems barriers to developmental
- HR Practitioners can track how much the organisation is
perceived to support development and coaching activity in
a variety of ways, including through employee attitude surveys.
- Creating a coaching culture generally involves implementing
a long-term, strategic organisational development programme
in an organisation.
You will know you have a coaching climate when:
- Personal growth, team development and organisational
learning are integrated and the links clearly understood.
- People are able to engage in constructive and positive
- People welcome feedback (even at the top) and actively
- Coaching is seen as a responsibility of managers and
their direct reports
- There is good understanding at all levels about what
effective developers and developees do
- Coaching is seen primarily as an opportunity rather than
a remedial intervention
- People are recognised and rewarded for their activity
in sharing knowledge
- Time for reflection is valued
- There are effective mechanisms for identifying and addressing
barriers to learning
- People look first inside the organisation for their next
- There are strong role models of good coaching practice
Return to the coaching home page.
"Discover the art of natural coaching"
What to do next
Thank you for your interest in Brefi Group's training programmes. To contact a representative about how Brefi Group can help with coaching or coach training, use our contact page.
Alternatively, if you would prefer to talk to one of our consultants, then call +44 (0) 121 288 3417.
Brefi Group designs, develops and licenses coach training programmes for managers who wish to improve their leadership style and for individuals who wish to qualify as professional coaches.
Sign up for our FREE weekly e-newsletter CorporateCoach.